It’s officially springtime! Today is the vernal equinox – the first day of spring. As the days get longer and warmer, the birds are beginning to sing and the flowers are starting to bloom. Unfortunately, throughout the long winter, many of us are also seeing that our guts have blossomed.
Spring Break vacation in looming in the near future and most people are beginning to rethink their fitness routines to ensure their abs are ready for tighter fitting clothes and bathing suit season.
Wake up your abs with these fitness moves guaranteed to flatten your belly and get rid you of your muffin top:
- Abdominal Hold
- Sit tall on the edge of a sturdy chair (or step with four risers) and place your hands on the edge with your fingers pointing toward your knees.tall on the edge of a sturdy chair (or step with four risers) and place your hands on the edge with your fingers pointing toward your knees.
- Tighten your abs and bring your toes 2 to 4 inches off the floor. Lift your butt off the chair.
- Hold for 10-20 seconds.
- Lower yourself.
- Repeat for at least 1 minute.
- Side Plank
- Lie on your right side with your legs straight. Prop yourself up with your right forearm so your body forms a diagonal line. Rest your left hand on your hip.
- Brace your abs and hold for 60 seconds. (If you can’t make it to 60 seconds, hold for 5-10 seconds and rest for 5 seconds.)
- Continue for 1 minute. (Be sure your hips and knees stay off the floor.)
- Low-Belly Leg Reach
- Lie face up with your knees bent to 90 degrees with your hands behind head and abs contracted.
- Keeping your knees stacked over your hips, lift your shoulders and crunch up. Inhale and hold for 3-5 seconds.
- Exhale and your extend legs to 45 degrees.
- Hold for 3-5 seconds while squeezing your lower belly.
- Do 2 sets of 10-15 reps.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent to 90 degrees and your feet lifted.
- Tighten your abs as you inhale and lift your arms up and back over your head.
- Exhale and swing your arms forward while straightening your legs so your body forms a V. (If needed, put your hands on the floor for support.)
- Slowly straighten yourself back to the floor while bending your knees and bringing your arms overhead.
- Do 15 reps.
- Mountain Climbers
- Assume a standard push-up position.
- In one smooth motion, bring your right knee toward the right side of your chest.
- Then, bring your left leg forward while extending your right leg back. (Avoid any lower back movement throughout the exercise.)
- Continue alternating your knees to your chest.
- Do 20 reps.
Are you in need of an unique exercise plan that is created specifically for your individual weight goals? Fitness for Health can help! Our one-on-one fitness programs are designed to assist you in reaching your personal health aspirations. Visit www.FitnessForHealth.org to learn how we can help you become Spring Break ready.