Although it is true that sustained exercise helps you achieve a great body and improves bone and joint health, it also improves your overall wellness and keeps your mind sharp.
Spring is here – supposedly! And, that means people are beginning to refocus attention on outdoor cardio and athletic training, remembering their New Year’s resolutions to improve their health and maintain weight management, and hitting the gym to get ready for vacations to the beach.
Here are five reasons that you need to work out today:
- Extend your life. Medical research has shown that by walking briskly for at least 150 minutes – not even 2 hours – each week (the minimum World Health Organization exercise recommendation), you may increase your life expectancy by 3 ½ – 4 ½ years!
- Ensure your heart remains healthy. By exercising or athletic training for as little as 30 minutes a day, you can reduce your risk of a heart attack by 30% – 50% and your risk of having a stroke by 25%.
- Become happier. When you exercise, you produce endorphins in your brain. Scientists have found that regular participation in aerobic exercise has been shown to elevate and stabilize your mood, decrease overall levels of tension, improve sleep and increase self-esteem. Even five minutes of aerobic exercise can stimulate anti-anxiety effects.
- Improve your brain function. Just one cardio workout pumps extra blood to your brain which delivers oxygen and other nutrients the brain needs to perform at peak efficiency. Cardio exercise also provides the brain with endorphins and brain-derived protein (BDNF) that enhance functions such as memory, problem-solving skills and decision-making abilities. And, it doesn’t matter the age when you begin to work out! Beginning a fitness for seniors program helps to maintain and improve cognitive abilities.
- Bring your sexy back. We all know that exercise burns fat, but, if you want to get lean and fit, you’ll need to intensify your workouts to firm, thin and strengthen. Yes, exercise can help you lose your love handles, but it’s also the loss of excess fat deep inside the body that boosts your overall looks and your health. There are two types of fat – subcutaneous (what you can pinch) and visceral. Visceral fat pads the abdominal organs like insulation and is far more difficult to lose. It can also kill you. Excess visceral fat fuels low-grade inflammation in the body and is tied to type 2 diabetes, heart disease, colon cancer, breast cancer and dementia. It can also upset the balance of important hormones that affect your skin, hair and general appearance.
Remember, “use it or lose it!” If you don’t use your body to its fullest potential now, you risk losing your flexibility, muscle tone, heart strength and cognitive abilities later in life.
So, what are you waiting for?
Fitness for Health creates unique exercise programs based on a person’s individual fitness goals. Want to lose weight or maintain weight management? Interested in toning your body? Aspiring to improve your athletic edge? No problem! Whether you are a young child or a senior citizen, Fitness for Health can you help you and your loved ones reach your full potential.